Bob founded IronPlane in 2012 to provide Magento, Adobe Commerce, and BigCommerce services to B2C and B2B clients. He's also founded multiple eCommerce companies himself.
In his interview with Tim, Bob focuses on how:
- eCommerce will become “unified commerce” or just "Commerce"
- BigCommerce seems to be in the middle between a true SaaS and something more custom or PaaS
- Marketplaces will continue to grow as a revenue strategy
- Magento open source is still best for customizations
- SaaS platforms will improve, but businesses may get better total cost of ownership with on-prem platforms
- AR/3D/VR will eventually be a necessity
You can read the transcription here:
#futureofecommerce #magentodevelopment #adobecommerce #unifiedcommerce
00:00 Future of eCommerce series: Bob Giovannini
04:13 Moving from eCommerce to just "Commerce"
10:27 His take on Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento, and more
17:34 Why engage with a marketplace
22:54 The risk of SaaS vs. On-prem
25:48 It’s less about the future of eCommerce and more about the future of your business
28:30 Will SaaS win out over On-prem solutions?
35:23 Who is a good candidate for headless?
40:27 Helping clients find the right tool for their needs
46:24 Focus on tools that help you merchandise your products more effectively